A South African society of literate, critically conscious citizens, capable of meaningfully participating in and contributing to the development of a democratic society
To make an effective and sustainable contribution to a culture of reading in townships by raising the levels of social literacy.
Unako will drive this mission by aiming to achieve the following six objectives:
- To assist school learners in developing their literacy levels and provide them with the necessary skills to develop themselves in their communities
- To assist schools to use innovative tools of learning that will improve the literacy levels of their learners and invigorate the learners’ learning potential
- To assist government, communities and schools in using social literacy for transformation
- To expand local discourses around learning and literacy by championing social literacy
- To work in collaboration with various institutions and organisations, mainly focused on education, youth and community development
- To have an efficient and effective organisation to achieve its objectives
The first three objectives seek to assist the beneficiaries of Unako in raising the social literacy levels: learners, schools and government.
The fourth objective seeks to create a culture of reading in townships as a conducive environment for assisting the beneficiaries.
While the fifth objective seeks to partner with like-minded organisations for optimal results.
The last objective seeks to further develop Unako as an organisation to it can efficiently support the achievement of the other five objectives.